Welcome to DC





Things I´ve learned so far:

1. How to tell the temperature in Fahrenheit
2. Don´t take off your shoes when you go inside
3. Keep water with you at all times
4. How to use the metro card
5. The time difference to Finland is 7 hours


Yesterday after over 12 hours of traveling I finally landed DC and my host family was at the airport waiting for me. And so was the heat. It´s super hot compared to Finland but that´s also why I enjoy it. The host family consists of the mother, two kids my age and a housekeeper. On our way from the airport we got stuck in traffic. I was tired because on our flight over the Atlantic I didn´t get any sleep. We ate dinner, my host sister, Paloma, showed me around and I went to bed early (early here, super late if I were in Finland).

Today Paloma showed me her school, it was huge. The walls were covered with art. We also went to a dance school because I want to take some classes while I´m here. Based on what I´ve heard and seen there are lots of talented, artistic people in DC. Most people are also very nice and so not shy to talk to strangers. They are also way more political and educated on important topics such as equality than in Finland.

My host family´s house is also huge. It has four floors of which one is rented to someone else. They have a pool on their backyard. I have my own room and it´s bigger than mine in Finland. Here are a lot of trees and the house is located right next to a zoo. The area I´m staying in is very diverse and has shops close by. Not the ones you see at big malls like H&M or McDonald´s but local shops can be found only here.

Loving DC so far!


Yli 12 tunnin matkustamisen jälkeen saavuimme eileen DC:hin ja isäntäperheeni oli lentokentällä vastassa. Vaikka olikin pilvistä, asteita oli yli 30, Farenheitin asteikolla 90. Ero on siis suuri Suomen säihin verrattuna, mutta juuri sen takia nautin helteestä. Matkalla lentokentältä jäimme jumiin ruuhkaan. Olin myös todella väsynyt, lennolla Atlantin yli en saanut unta lainkaan. Söimme eilen yhdessä illallista, host-siskoni Paloma esitteli paikkoja ja menin ajoissa nukkumaan (ajoissa täällä, todella myöhään, jos olisin ollut Suomessa). Isäntäperheeseeni kuuluvat siis äiti, kaksi ikäistäni lasta ja kodinhoitaja.

Tänään kävimme Paloman kanssa hänen koulullaan, joka oli valtava. Seinille oli maalattu taidetta. Kävimme myös tanssikoululla, koska tahdon täälläkin käydä tanssitunneilla. Kuulemani ja näkemäni mukaan DC:ssä on paljon lahjakkaita, taiteellisia ihmisiä. Ihmiset ovat yleensä myös todella mukavia ja juttelevat myös tuntemattomille. Olen huomannut myös, että ihmiset osallistuvat aktiivisemmin politiikkaan ja tietävät tasa-arvoon liittyvistä aiheista paljon enemmän kuin Suomessa.

Myös host-perheeni talo on valtava. Siinä on neljä kerrosta, joista alin on vuorattu jollekin muulle. Heiden takapihallaan on uima-allas. Sain oman huoneen, joka on suurempi kuin huoneeni koti-Suomessa. Täällä on paljon suuria puita ja talo on ihan eläintarhan vieressä. Alue, jossa asun on todella monikulttuurinen ja läheltä löytyy paljon kauppoja. Ihanaa on se, että kaupat ovat paikallisten ihmisten paikallisia yrityksiä eivätkä maailmanlaajuisia ketjuja kuten McDonald´s tai H&M. 

Yhteenvetona: kaunis kaupunki ja ihania ihmisiä!


Thank you for reading!

Comments